Thursday, May 5, 2011

Elizabeth Christine Antoine from New Iberia, Louisiana

Liz was my best friend in elementary school. I attended a dozen schools by the time I graduated and moved around quite often. I was always secure in the fact that Liz was my friend and I always knew where she lived. In the 70's it was odd for children of mixed color to play with one another. I was white and Liz was black. I had family members who were bigots and they gave me a hard time about her. They called me the names they reserved for black people. I just turned a blind ear to what I could.

We became friends in 1st grade and worked on many projects for school together. I remember when we won The Honorable Mention in 5th grade for Social Studies. We won it for all the research we had done on various tribes of Native Americans (we did call them Indians back then!)

When I married and divorced Liz was a phone call away. When I had my son I took him to New Iberia. Liz gave me a stuffed bear with the year he was born on it. I had that bear until we had a major house fire in 2009.

When my father passed away Liz tried to make it to the funeral but her work schedule was crazy. She listened to me moan about how much I missed him and never complained.

But one day I let her down. I had taken my son and mother-in-law to New Iberia in 1993 for a visit. We were to have dinner with some of my family members (they were the bigots that I mentioned earlier). Liz invited me to dinner. I stammered then said that I already have plans. She said "Oh good, I can meet your family." I don't remember what I said but I'm sure I had that "dear caught in the headlights" look. I'm sure that she thought I was ashamed of her. I just wanted to protect her from the verbal abuse that I had endured for years.

Liz has since moved away from her home that she grew up in. Her father passed away. The last search I did, her brother, Lloyd Antoine payed the taxes in 2004. In 2005 the taxes are paid by someone else, a name I don't recognize.

I'm sure she's married, with kids of her own. I've called various Lloyd and Greg Antoine's. None of them that have listed numbers have a sister named Liz. I'll keep trying and I'll find my friend someday!!!!

If anyone knows her location feel free to contact me for the Friend Reunion of a lifetime!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment